Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 4 medium russet baking potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- white wine vinegar (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 375.
- Bake the potatoes until soft (30 to 50 minutes, depending on the size).
- Slowly heat the oil.
- Remove from the heat and add the garlic.
- Allow steeping at least 10 minutes.
- Place the potato on a cutting board.
- Cover with a clean towel.
- Using a meat tenderizing mallet carefully punch the potato.
- Use a spatula to transfer to a plate.
- Pour the garlic oil and vinegar (if used) over the potato.
- Check the seasoning.
These are absolute yum, yum!! Definately be generous on the garlic and the use of a good extra virgin olive oil is a must. Salt was not identified in this recipe, but in my opinion is a must because w/o it the flavors won't come through. I'd suggest that when baking it is best to rub some olive oil on the skins (after they've been cleaned) and sprinkled with some kosher salt. I added kosher salt to taste to the potatoes when punched. I lightly spinkled some red wine vinegar as well. This recipe is a very typical Portuguese recipe. Thx. Dancer!
Potatoes, garlic and olive oil, this recipe sounded great. We left out the optional vinegar, if I try this again I will use the vinegar because they really didn't have the flavor I expected. We ended up adding extras to jazz them up a little.