Recipe by i_luv_chocolate
I tried this delicious cake just recently when a fellow co-worker brought it to a potluck we were having at work. Everyone raved over it and I made it at home to try it, using my favorite fruits and chopped pecans. I lightened the recipe using lite ingredients when I could, so this is the lightened version. * Note: You can use any kinds of fruit you happen to have on hand and any nuts of your choice (optional). ***FYI: Zaar doesn't want to seem to display the amt of strawberries but the recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups diced strawberries.
Top Review by hilty
The recipe sounds easy and when I say the word Jello etc. it reminded me when my girlfriend would put cubes of jello as one of layers or just sprinkle throughout.
I tried this with store bought angle food cake, made the jello a bit firmer than usual and used the jello low sugar pudding and low fat low sugar cool whip, Sprinkle some Chambord among the layers of cake and fruit, which gives a wonderful flavor. Being hubby is diabetic, this was his birthday cake during a camping trip and the crowd loved it.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxpillsbury moist supreme reduced-sugar yellow cake mix
- diced strawberry
- 4 bananas, sliced
- 2 (1 ounce) boxesjello fat-free sugar-free vanilla pudding
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip Lite
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (for topping, and or layering in cake) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake cake according to directions on box, using two round cake pans with removable bottoms. Set aside to cool.
- Mix up both packages of pudding according to box directions, let set up in fridge.
- Drain pineapple, and put in a large bowl, along with diced strawberries, and sliced bananas, set aside.
- Take one half of cake, removed from cake pan, but still on cake pan bottom, and loosen with knife from cake pan bottom.
- Then cut cake into cubes and layer in bottom of punch bowl, or trifle dish.
- Then top lightly with a layer of each: vanilla pudding, fruit, cool whip, nuts, and another layer each of cake cubes, pudding, and fruit, finishing with top layer of cool whip and nuts.
- Use only half of total ingredients for this cake.
- Then take the other half of cake and repeat the process as with the first cake: cut cake into cubes and layer the rest of all ingredients (in order) in a second punch bowl or trifle dish, until finishing with cool whip and nuts on top.