Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
One of the most widely sought chutneys in Hawaii is made available each year at the annual school Carnival held in Honolulu during February. In the Islands, this is the ultimate chutney
- 10 lbs mangoes, peeled, sliced and cut in chunks (green or half-ripe)
- 3⁄4 cup salt
- 5 lbs sugar
- 6 -7 cups cider vinegar, depending on acidity of mangoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs blanched almonds, cut in thin strips
- 1 lb finely sliced candied lemon peel
- 1 lb finely sliced candied orange peel
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 2 lbs seedless raisins
- 1 lb finely sliced citron
- 2⁄3 cup green ginger, cooked and chopped fine
- 1 cup finely chopped preserved gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 8 small hawaiian chilies, with seeds removed, chopped fine
- .Sprinkle mangoes with salt and allow to stand overnight.
- Boil the sugar and vinegar 5 minutes, add to the drained mango, cook until tender. Add the other ingredients and cook slowly to desired consistency, 30 minutes to an hour. Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal immediately.
- Makes 15 pints.
- Approximate nutritional analysis, per 2-tablespoon serving: 90 calories, 1.5 g total fat, 0.5 g. saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, greater than 150 mg sodium.*.