Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was inspired by Mirj's Citrus Pumpkin Pie in a Nutty Crust. The crust is more of a "healthy" crust, so if you dont care for that too much, just go ahead and use your fav crust. The filling is delicate and smooth with great holiday flavours. I loved it and I hope you do, too.
For the crust
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce, unsweetened (might need 2 tbs more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For the pumpkin yogurt filling
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (I used a home-made one)
- 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla yogurt (can use low-fat)
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1⁄8 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄8 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground vanilla bean
- 1⁄16 teaspoon clove
- For the crust combine flour, ground walnuts, chopped walnuts, applesauce, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl. If mixture does not come together, add a tbs or so more applesauce.
- Press mixture into a greased pie plate of 24 cm/9 inch in diameter.
- For the filling combine pumpkin puree, applesauce, yogurt, sugar, eggs, salt and all of the spices in a big bowl. Mix well.
- Pour this mixture into your prepared pie crust and bake in the pre-heated oven at 220°C/425°F for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 175°C/350°F and bake for another 45 minutes or until filling is set.
- Let cool in the pan. Enjoy!
Absolutely delicious pie! Loved the combo of ingredients in the crust & the pie itself was wonderful! Shared it with a neighbor couple, & it got nothing but raves! I'll definitely be making this one again several times, I'm sure, before the end of the year! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
This recipe was quite good! I was excited about how the crust mixed up into a dough though it was a little too so I plan on tweaking it next time; I was thinking about using part graham cracker crumbs. Also, I thought I had vanilla yogurt but it was plain so my filling was a bit more tangy than I would have liked but that is no fault of the recipe's. I just added some extra vanilla this time gut I'll be sure to have the right yogurt next time. Great mix of spices and great pumpkin flavor! Also, I may play with using agave or honey next time. Thanks for posting this recipe!
I've made many of pumpkin pies and this one was not a hit with my family. Something about the flavor was just amiss. I don't know if it was because I used an off brand of yogurt and pumpkin or what. I may make this again with name brand ingredients to see if that was the problem. Crust was good. Thanks for sharing your recipe.