Recipe by Pumpkie
These are pumpkin flavored and shaped like pumpkins, they are easy and look great on your table at Thanksgiving. I will post a picture after Thanksgiving.
- 16 slivered almonds, i use a few extras in case any break,dye almonds ahead of time,directions below
- 1⁄4 teaspoon green food coloring
- 1 (16 ounce) package hot roll mix
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2⁄3 apple cider
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 whole egg, slightly beaten
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place almonds in small resealable plastic bag.
- Add food color, seal bag.
- Shake bag until almonds are evenly colored.
- If you would like them to be a darker green add more color, I also dye a few extras in case any break.
- Place almonds on wax paper to dry.
- Combine hot roll mix, yeast package from mix, and pumpkin pie spice in large bowl, stir to mix well.
- Combine cider and warm water in small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until cider mixture is hot (120 to 130F) pour over dry ingredients.
- Add butter and whole egg; stir until dough pulls away from side of bowl.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Cut dough into 16 equal pieces; roll each piece into a ball.
- Combine egg white and cold water in small bowl; beat lightly with fork until well blended.
- Brush egg white mixture evenly onto rolls, covering them completely.
- With a sharp knife, lightly score surface of each roll, beginning at top center and comming down around sides of roll to resemble a pumpkin.
- Insert 1 almond sliver into top of each roll for stem.
- Lightly grease baking sheet.
- Place rolls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Cover loosley with towel; let rise in warm place 20- 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Remover towel.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.