Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Autumn is approaching and this is an easy soup to make to welcome the change in seasons. To make this 'after-work do-able' cook the rice the night before and chill it.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin or 2 cups of cooked butternut squash, can be substituted
- 1 1⁄3 cups cooked wild rice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- snipped fresh chives or parsley
- Sauté the onion in the butter in a large saucepan for 5 minutes; stir in the broth and pumpkin, heat, stirring occasionally, over low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the wild rice and pepper; continue to heat for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and heat through; do not boil.
- Garnish with chives or parsley and serve.
This is THE BEST pumpkin soup I've ever had! I wouldn't change a thing. Thanks!
This was a hit at my house tonight! I wasn't sure the kids would go for it, but 3 of the 4 kiddos loved it. ;) I used fat free half & half and added some brown rice in addition to the wild rice. It was terrific.
Very nice, earthy flavored soup.