Recipe by the80srule
Inspired by both the fall and my favorite Quest for Glory game that had garlic and avocado sandwiches made on pumpkin wheat bread, I wanted to make my own pumpkin wheat bread in my bread machine...that's an actual yeast bread made with pumpkin, not a quickbread or sweet type of tea loaf. Hence, the coriander for savory flavor instead of cinnamon or the other traditional pumpkin pie spices. Sage or thyme would make nice additions to this bread too that go with pumpkin. I use my own homemade bread flour that's AP flour and vital wheat gluten, and I always have lots of canned pumpkin on hand no matter what time of year it is! Prep time is the dough cycle, mine takes about 90 minutes.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast (a 0.25-oz packet)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ (regular's fine too)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 -3 tablespoons pepitas
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the ingredients into your bread machine according to manufacturer's directions, and do a dough cycle for 1.5-lb or 2-lb.
- Extract the dough from the machine and lay a piece of parchment paper down on a cookie sheet, shaping the dough into a loaf.
- Brush with the beaten egg and cover in pumpkin seeds (pepitas) to your liking.
- Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes or until the top is nice and crispy.