If your family is tired of ordinary waffles, they'll sit up and take notice when you sit this pumpkin-infused version and its orange syrup partner on the table. I got this recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens New Dieter's Cookbook.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute or 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- In another medium bowl combine the milk, pumpkin, egg substitute, and oil. Add milk mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Pour about 3/4 cup batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle baker. close lid quickly; do not open until golden brown. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grids. Repeat with remaining batter.
- For Orange Syrup: In a small saucepan stir together the orange juice, honey, cornstarch and cinnamon. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Serve warm. Makes about 1 cup.
I wont give a star rating, as I didn't make the orange syrup that everyone is raving about. I just made the pancakes, and hey were quite good. I used a nutriwheat flour (tastes like white flour, nutrition or wheat flour) and that was the only change i made. I was hopign for more pumpkin flavour. I wqas also hoping for a more crispy waffle, but that could have been because of my flour maybe? Anyways, I would still make these again:) thanks!
I loved these! Perfect for breakfast for dinner! My waffle iron didn't like the thickness of the batter so I added in about a 1/4 cup more of skim milk and that seemed to take care of it. It was still thick, but manageable. I really liked the flavour. It was overpowering at all. I also liked that I was getting some veggies into my guys. I did change up the flour a touch. I did 1 1/2 cups all purpose, 1/4 cup whole wheat, 1/4 cup cornmeal (fine). That may have contributed to the thickness of the batter too, so I don't fault the recipe in the least! It was more than likely all my fault. :) I will make these again. Thank you SO much for sharing.
I love pumpkin so I just had to try these, the batter seemed very thick. I would like to try and thin the batter a little next time and also add a bit more pumpkin pie spice or maybe add in some cinnamon. They did cook up nice and fluffy. The orange syrup is the shinning star of this recipe what a nice addition to the pumpkin flavor of the waffles. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Made for spring 08 PAC.