Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe for one of those busy nights when you want something hot and hearty! Easy to use ingredients, with minimal chopping! Very satisfying and delicious.
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 cups chicken stock (canned chicken broth can be substituted)
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chick-peas)
- 1 cup potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Saute onion in butter in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Add broth and next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pumpkin, salt, nutmeg, and white pepper. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in whipping cream; cook until heated through.
Healthy and yummy winter soup. I pureed mine with stick blender and put cheese on top. Made for ZWT 7.
This is a nice twist on a traditional vegetable soup. Easy to put together and very filling. I used olive oil instead of butter and less than a tablespoon in total. I also used a combination of fat free half-and-half and milk instead of cream, which worked fine and lowered the calories and fat in the recipe. Made for Photo Tag and much enjoyed.
This is so delicious, and as with many soups it is even better on the second day. Everyone was a bit skeptical about the ingredient combination, but they all came back for seconds and thirds! This is a very kid-friendly recipe as well. I followed the recipe as directed with the exception of using milk for the whipping cream as I don't tend to keep cream around. It still had a nice creamy texture, likely due to the pumpkin. What's funny is everyone tasted something different in this: I tasted a hint of curry (??), DH tasted classic veggie soup, and DM raved about the pumpkin flavor. I will absolutely make this again; it is a perfect warming fall meal! Thanks for posting. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.