1/6 Photos of Pumpkin Tortilla Soup Perfection!
Tickle you taste buds with this Hearty, Comforting, Spicy Soup. It is thicken with pumpkin puree and tomato paste. A culinary flavor explosion from the onion, garlic, lime, chipotle and dried chili. Textures you mouth will enjoy from the crisp tortillas, to creamy avocados. Use either the guajillo chile a pointed, long and narrow with a shiny, deep red skin. It can be rather hot and is used to round out the flavor in both sauces and in cooked dishes. OR you can use the Ancho which is deep reddish-brown in color, the rich, slightly fruity and is the sweetest of the dried chiles. Give it a try you'll be happy you did!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 baby carrots, fine diced
- 1 dried guajillo chile, soaked in warm water removed seed and sliced thin
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, seeds removed and diced
- 1 cup white wine (water can be used)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup canned pumpkin or 1 cup pureed butternut squash
- 32 ounces organic low-fat chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn, brought to room temperature
- 1Coat breast with salt, pepper and cardamom. Heat oil in a pot medium high heat. Brown chicken on both sides and remove setting a side. Will not be completely cooked at this point.
- 2Add to pot onion, garlic and carrots saute till tender about 5 minutes adding a touch more oil if needed.
- 3Add chiles.
- 4Add wine to deglaze and reduce completely.
- 5Add tomato paste and stir to coat onion mixture. Cook 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- 6Add pumpkin puree stir in and follow with chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- 7Dice browned chicken and add to pot.
- 8Add corn and 2 tablespoon cilantro. Simmer till tortillas are ready.
- 9Meanwhile heat inch oil and fry corn tortilla strips in batches. When browned remove to paper towel to drain and season with salt.
- 10These are tempting so you may want to fry a couple extra. ;).
- 11In bowls place tortilla strips, ladle soup over tortillas.
- 12Garnish with additional cilantro, avocados, sour cream and lime slices to be squeezed over soup.
Browse Our Top < 15 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 15 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Tortilla Soup Perfection!
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.2
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 8.5 mg
- Sodium 207.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried guajillo chiles
chipotle chiles in adobo
low-fat chicken broth