Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A very light and delicious cake that is good on its own with added moisture from the pumpkin to make it a good choice for dessert.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325 (167 C) degrees fahrenheit
- Grease and flour a 9 " springform pan and set aside
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and set aside
- In a large mixing bowl beat the egg yolks until light and a creamy yellow colour.
- Add the granulated sugar slowly to the yolks and beat with an electric mixer until thickened.
- Pour the pumpkin puree into the creamed mixture and beat until light and fluffy
- Combine flour, spices and Baking Powder together in a small bowl and then add to the creamed mixture a small amount at a time.
- Fold in beaten egg whites into mixture gently until whites are fully incorporated into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared springform pan and put in oven for 35 minutes
- When lightly browned remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before removing ring from the cake pan.
I'm not sure if there is something missing or incorrect in the instructions or ingredients. I made this because the simplicity appealed to me however i ended up cooking it an extra 40 minutes and the center was just starting to set while the top and edges were getting quite dark. As far as flavor it is sorta bland and would need to be served with something like a sweet sauce (caramel pecan maybe) or a cream cheese frosting which would probably give it a similar flavor to a traditional pumpkin roll. overall I was very disappointed.