Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A very light and delicious cake that is good on its own with added moisture from the pumpkin to make it a good choice for dessert.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325 (167 C) degrees fahrenheit
- Grease and flour a 9 " springform pan and set aside
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and set aside
- In a large mixing bowl beat the egg yolks until light and a creamy yellow colour.
- Add the granulated sugar slowly to the yolks and beat with an electric mixer until thickened.
- Pour the pumpkin puree into the creamed mixture and beat until light and fluffy
- Combine flour, spices and Baking Powder together in a small bowl and then add to the creamed mixture a small amount at a time.
- Fold in beaten egg whites into mixture gently until whites are fully incorporated into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared springform pan and put in oven for 35 minutes
- When lightly browned remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before removing ring from the cake pan.