Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
I had an extra pumpkin this holiday season and here is what became of it!
- 1 small pumpkin
- 7 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 -10 carrots, peeled, sliced, diced
- 1 medium onion
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a large pot, put Chicken Stock, pumpkin and carrot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Put butter in a frying pan and sautee onions and mushrooms until browned.
- Add tomatoes and continue to fry for 5 minutes.
- Puree all ingredients in a blender. Place pureed soup into the soup pot.
- Add spices, sugar and cream at this time.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with fresh croutons.
I had a little taste of this soup and then into the freezer it went . It made a generous amount and I had to use coriander and parsley as I had no basil. It was great and I loved the unusual addition of mushrooms. Made for Everyday is a Holiday.
I followed this recipe quite loosely, I also added bacon but used tomato paste instead of tomatoes & I omitted the cream & sugar. This was a lovely warming thick soup that even toddler DD enjoyed. Thanks for posting!