1 hr 45 mins
Tartine Bakery, San Francisco, CA
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 395.10 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 14.79 ml ground cinnamon, plus
- 9.85 ml ground cinnamon
- 9.85 ml freshly grated nutmeg
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 236.59 ml pumpkin puree, plus
- 29.58 ml pumpkin puree
- 236.59 ml vegetable oil (such as safflower or sunflower)
- 314.66 ml sugar
- 3.69 ml salt
- 3 large eggs
- 29.58 ml sugar, for topping
- 1**Note, as with all quick breads, make sure not to overmix the batter, or you will end up with a coarse, tough crumb.
- 2Preheat oven to 325°; lightly butter the bottom and sides of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- 3This recipe is easily mixed by stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or by hand with a whisk.
- 4Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves into a mixing bowl; set aside.
- 5In another bowl, beat together the pumpkin puree, oil, sugar, and salt on medium speed until well mixed.
- 6Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition until incorporated before adding the next egg.
- 7Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- 8On low speed, add in the flour mixture and beat just until combined.
- 9Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then beat on medium speed for 5-10 seconds to make a smooth batter.
- 10The batter should have the consistency of a thick puree.
- 11Transfer batter into loaf pan; smooth the surface with an offset spatula.
- 12Sprinkle evenly with sugar.
- 13Bake about 1 hour, or until a cake tester or pick comes out clean.
- 14Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 20 minutes, and then invert onto the rack, turn right side up, and let cool completely.
- 15Serve at room temperature; will keep at room temperature if well wrapped, for 4 days; in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Tea Cake
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 688.1
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 523.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 49.4 g
- Protein 7.0 g