Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tartine Bakery, San Francisco, CA
Make and share this Pumpkin Tea Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, plus
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, plus
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 cup vegetable oil (such as safflower or sunflower)
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar, for topping
- **Note, as with all quick breads, make sure not to overmix the batter, or you will end up with a coarse, tough crumb.
- Preheat oven to 325°; lightly butter the bottom and sides of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- This recipe is easily mixed by stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or by hand with a whisk.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves into a mixing bowl; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat together the pumpkin puree, oil, sugar, and salt on medium speed until well mixed.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition until incorporated before adding the next egg.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- On low speed, add in the flour mixture and beat just until combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then beat on medium speed for 5-10 seconds to make a smooth batter.
- The batter should have the consistency of a thick puree.
- Transfer batter into loaf pan; smooth the surface with an offset spatula.
- Sprinkle evenly with sugar.
- Bake about 1 hour, or until a cake tester or pick comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 20 minutes, and then invert onto the rack, turn right side up, and let cool completely.
- Serve at room temperature; will keep at room temperature if well wrapped, for 4 days; in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
This came out like a loaf rather then a cake.. oh well-This was very nice... My family enjoyed it as well... full of flavor.