Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a simple recipe for sweet pumpkin tamales. Sweet tamales are not served as a dessert in Mexico but along with savory tamales or other savory dishes. Posted for Zaar World Tour II '06
- 12 -15 cups masa harina flour
- 1 (26 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground mace
- 2 cups raisins (dark or golden)
- 36 -48 dried corn husks, soaked, washed, and drained plus more for ties
- In a large bowl combine the masa, pumpkin and sugar. Add the vanilla, mace, cinnamon, and raisins and mix until well blended.
- To assemble the tamales, place 2 - 3 heaping tablespoons of the masa mixture in the net of the smooth side of the corn husk.
- Fold the sides of the husk in toward the center and tie the tamale at both ends.
- Prick the husk several times using the tip of a very sharp knife. Repeat for the remaining tamales.
- Steam the tamales for 45 - 50 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of crema.
Either the amount of Masa is incorect or the amount of pumpkin. Not enough wet ingrediants. :(