This is a light but hearty soup that has lots of flavor. For a special occasion add some cream. I found the original recipe in a monthly womens magazine.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and pumpkin and cut into cubes of roughly the same size.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter using a medium heat.
- Leaving the heat setting the same, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the pumplin, sweet potatoes, ginger, caraway seeds and stock.
- Season to taste, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until sweet potatoes and pumpkin is tender.
- Remove from heat and puree in batches in a food processor.
- Place in a clean suacepan, add honey and cinnamon.
- Bring to the boil then remove from heat.
- Add more seasoning if necessary.
- Top with cheese then serve.
- For a heartier meal cook you favourite pasta shapes for 5 minutes (so still firm), drain then add to the pureed soup.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and then serve.
Great soup - the DM loved it. I used a stick blender and just blended in the pot and then added the cinnamon and honey. I used just over a kilo of butternut pumpkin and about 600 grams of sweet potato and 2 litres of vegetable stock along with 1 very large red onion and 1 medium brown onion, keeping everything else the same. Thank you Trudy Hobbs, made for Bargain Basement.