Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Family Circle 10/07, this has a surprise sublayer of cream cheese.
- 1 (15 ounce) packageready-to-roll pie crusts or 1 (15 ounce) packagehomemade pie crusts, for double-crust pie
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten with teaspoon water
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Fit 1 pie crust into a 9" pie plate and crimp edges. Refrigerate until ready to fill. Unroll second crust. Using a 1" star cookie cutter, cut out 50 stars; place on baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cream cheese layer: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and egg until smooth. Spread evenly into bottom of pie crust.
- Pumpkin layer: In a large bowl, beat pumpkin puree, milk, brown sugar, eggs, pie spice and salt until smooth. Using a ladle, gently spoon pumpkin mixture over cream cheese mixture.
- Brush edge of pie with egg-water was. Overlap pastry stars around edge. Brush stars lightly with egg-water wash. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Cover edges with foil, reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for and additional 45 minutes.
- Cool pie completely on rack. Refrigerate until completely chilled. Before slicing, leave out for 30 minutes.
this is really winderful and a great change. My In-Laws request it every year
My crust burned (I did not do the ring of stars around the edge), and the flavor of the cheesecake/pumpkin pie layers were just okay.