Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This smells so wonderful while it is cooking and makes a great presentation dish. Good comfort food for cold nights and kids think it's COOL!
- 10 -12 lbs pumpkin
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 bell pepper, diced into large pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 -3 cups water
- salt and pepper
- Carve a hole in the top of the pumpkin; remove seeds and stringy inside, then set the pumpkin aside.
- Brown the meat in a Dutch oven, then add all the cut up vegetables, salt, pepper, and water. Let simmer 1 hour.
- Place pumpkin in shallow baking pan. Fill with the stew mixture. Brush the sides of the pumpkin with oil and cook on 350°F for 2 hours or until the pumpkin is tender. Serve.
- Be sure to get chunks of pumpkin in your stew as you serve it--this enhances the flavor.
Fabulous!!! It tastes even better than it looks. I made this for Halloween and everyone loved it. The only change I made was to use a little more beef since we're a bunch of carnivores. :)
i took this recipe a little further. I added curry and pumpkin pie spice to it. I also added gold raisins and dried cherries. I also added a half a sweet potatoe chopped. the smells while baking were heavenly.
This was perfect for Halloween and had the whole house smelling lovely. The only think I did differently was to add 2 bay leaves and a little bit of rosemary. Thank you for posting such a fun recipe and I can't wait to make it for Halloween next year!