Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This stew is warm, delicious, and comforting for the whole family. it is looked forward to because we only get to eat it when pumpkins are in season. It is cooked and served in the pumpkin shell. I got this recipe out of a family holiday magazine.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup water
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 -12 lb) fresh pumpkin
- In a dutch oven, brown meat in 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add water, potatoes, carrots, green pepper, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Stir in bouillon and tomatoes.
- Wash pumpkin; cut a 6-8 inch circle around top stem.
- Remove top and set aside; discard seeds and loose fibers from inside.
- Place pumpkin in a shallow sturdy baking pan.
- Spoon stew into pumpkin and replace the top.
- Brush outside of pumpkin with remaining oil.
- bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours or just until the pumpkin is tender. (Do not overbake).
- Serve stew from pumpkin, scooping out a little pumpkin with each serving.
Awesome recipe! I felt just like Martha making this dinner!! I really impressed my family when they say this big pumpkin come out of the oven!! Stew tastes great even the next day! ~Christine
I have made this pumpkin stew in the fall for many years now . my family and friends love it !! if you like beef stew and pumpkin you will love this recipe !!