This stew is warm, delicious, and comforting for the whole family. it is looked forward to because we only get to eat it when pumpkins are in season. It is cooked and served in the pumpkin shell. I got this recipe out of a family holiday magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup water
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 -12 lb) fresh pumpkin
- 1In a dutch oven, brown meat in 2 tablespoons oil.
- 2Add water, potatoes, carrots, green pepper, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper.
- 3Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 4Stir in bouillon and tomatoes.
- 5Wash pumpkin; cut a 6-8 inch circle around top stem.
- 6Remove top and set aside; discard seeds and loose fibers from inside.
- 7Place pumpkin in a shallow sturdy baking pan.
- 8Spoon stew into pumpkin and replace the top.
- 9Brush outside of pumpkin with remaining oil.
- 10bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours or just until the pumpkin is tender. (Do not overbake).
- 11Serve stew from pumpkin, scooping out a little pumpkin with each serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Stew
Serving Size: 1 (779 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 729.1
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 118.0 mg
- Sodium 805.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 39.7 g