Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This stew is great for Halloween.
- 1 (10 -12 lb) fresh pumpkin
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup water
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, but in 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, includes the liquid
- In a dutch oven, brown meat in 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add water, potatoes, carrots, green pepper, garlic, onion, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Wash pumpkin, cut an 8 inch circle around top of stem. Remove top; set aside.
- Discard seeds and loose fiber from inside.
- Place pumpkin in a sturdy shallow baking pan. Brush outside of pumpkin with remaining oil.
- Spoon stew into pumpkin; replace top. Bake at 325°F for 2 hours or just until pumpkin is tender (do not overbake). Serve stew from pumpkin, scooping out a little pumpkin with each serving.