Recipe by Dorothy #270858
This was handed down from my lovely next door neighbor.
Top Review by nommynommerson
I want to give this recipe 5 star because holy crap delicious but I made adjustments. That is a lot of sugar. I only added a heaping cup and fit was plenty. I used all oil out of necessity but I'll try out the applesauce for my nephew's Halloween party. I also doubled the cinnamon and added pumpkin pie spice too because I like a strong spice flavor in my pumpkin stuff. For the icing I used butter instead of margarine and whipped it for a good 10 minutes with an electric mixer. It comes out fluffy and delicious. I tell myself it's now mostly air and thus the calories don't count, right? Right. Either way, great base recipe. I have it saved and will make it again. I have been looking for a replica of a farmer's market pumpkin cake recipe and just haven't found it yet. But this was the closest.
- 4 eggs
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 15 ounces canned 100% pumpkin
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Topping
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, apple sauce, oil, sugar and pumpkin.
- Add in flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt to above mixture and mixing well.
- Spread on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- For an extra treat, top with cream cheese topping.
- When pumpkin squares are cooled spread on top, cut and serve.
- Cream Cheese Topping: Mix cream cheese, margarine, vanilla and powdered sugar in a medium bowl, mixing well until smooth.