1 hr 25 mins
Monkey bread is a pull apart bread baked in a tube pan. this spicy, nutty Halloween version is golden with pumpkin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 packages active dry yeast or 2 packages fast rise yeast (5 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted,divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very warm water (130 degrees F)
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (one 16-ounce can)
- 3 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or 1/2 cup pecans
- 1In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups of the flour, the dry milk, yeast, 1/2 cup of the sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and salt; mix well.
- 2Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the water.
- 3Add the pumpkin and 2 teaspoons of the pumpkin pie spice.
- 4Beat at low speed with an electric mixer for 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl often.
- 5Gradually beat in enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- 6Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, adding flour as necessary.
- 7Wash the bowl, grease it, and place the dough into the bowl; turn the dough over to grease the top.
- 8Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 to 50 minutes (rising time will be less with rapid-rise yeast).
- 9Lightly grease a 10-inch tube pan.
- 10In a small, shallow bowl, combine the remaining sugar with the remaining pumpkin pie spice.
- 11Punch down the dough and divide into thirds.
- 12Turn out onto a lightly oiled surface and shape each third into a smooth 18-inch rope; then cut each rope into 18 equal pieces.
- 13Shape each piece into a smooth ball.
- 14Dip each ball in the remaining melted butter and roll in the sugar mixture.
- 15Arrange 18 balls in the bottom of the pan and sprinkle with one third of the nuts.
- 16Top with another layer of 18 balls, staggering the balls, and sprinkle with one third of the nuts.
- 17Repeat with the remaining balls and nuts.
- 18Cover the pan lightly and let rise in a warm place, about 45 minutes until doubled.
- 19Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- 20Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 21Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes and invert onto a serving plate.
- 22Serve warm, breaking apart the bread with two forks.
- 23Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Spiced Monkey Bread
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.5
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 41.6 mg
- Sodium 225.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 28.1 g
- Protein 8.8 g