Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was an experiment-turned-success. I call them puffy, pumpkin-spice pillows of delight, which are especially delicious served with butter and maple syrup. Although puffy, they are also hearty enough to satisfy the strongest appetite. My kids wolfed them down completely unaware that they were also eating their veggies. Score 1 point for Mom!
- 236.59 ml flour
- 14.79 ml brown sugar, packed
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4.92 ml cinnamon, ground
- 2.46 ml ginger, ground
- 2.46 ml nutmeg, ground
- 0.59 ml clove, ground
- 1 egg, beaten
- 177.44 ml milk
- 29.58 ml milk
- 118.29 ml pumpkin puree
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- Preheat a large skillet or griddle to medium heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whisk one egg until frothy. Then add milk, pumpkin puree and vegetable oil and whisk until combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients all at once. Stir well but not too much, as the batter is meant to be a bit lumpy. Please note the batter is also thicker than your average pancake batter.
- Using a 1/4 cup sized measuring cup, pour batter onto the hot, greased skillet/griddle, leaving enough space between each pancake for them to expand. With the bottom of your measuring cup or the back of a spoon, spread out the batter in a circular motion until pancake is an even layer.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes or until surface begins to bubble and edges appear slightly dry. Turn and cook for another 2 minutes until golden brown. These pancakes will puff up and almost appear to split in half. Do not press on them with your spatula, or they will deflate.
- Serve hot with butter and maple syrup (or your choice of syrup). Please note the pancakes themselves are not very sweet, so the use of sweet syrup is a must.
Perfect, awesome, amazing, a "10"!!!! I followed the recipe to a "T" (I had to use soy milk) down to using the 1/4 scoop for the batter. These were perfect! I was skeptical of the thick batter but you mentioned that so I went with it.... super glad I did! I have honestly done at least 5 pancake recipes from this site and this is the BEST!!!!!
Wow, these are light a fluffy! Perfect pumpkin and spice ratio. Yum!