Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious muffins, with or without the walnuts. From "Crazy Plates".
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, carrots, buttermilk, honey, butter or margarine, egg, vanilla, and orange zest.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- This is a thick batter.
- Fold walnuts (if using) into batter, gently.
- Spoon batter into 12-cup muffin pan (lightly greased or sprayed with nonstick spray).
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
My SO thinks very highly of these muffins, as he can't stop eating them; I really didn't find them sweet enough for my tastes (as completely opposite the other reviewer's point of view). If you are like me and like a sweet pick-me-up in the morning, I'm tempted to say you could easily double the honey or maybe add some brown sugar. These may not make exciting muffins IMHO, but I am excited to try turning this into a bread by adding more flour and some yeast. I have a feeling this recipe is worthy of my bread machine. Thanks for sharing!
Well myself like the other reviewer, omce I saw the ingredients list I knew they were for me. I cut back a wee bit on the honey, only because I don't like things real sweet. Nummy though :)
I knew when I saw the ingredients for these muffins, I'd love them. These were really tasty. I'm embarrased to say that I did not read the recipe carefully, and only put in 1/4 honey! They still were fairly sweet, but next time I'll get the honey measurement right. I was intrigued by the cookbook title and even checked it out from the library! It looks like it has some other great recipes. Thanks for posting! Roxygirl in Colo.