Recipe by MirandaLee
Delicious muffins, with or without the walnuts. From "Crazy Plates".
Top Review by Courtney Elizabeth
My SO thinks very highly of these muffins, as he can't stop eating them; I really didn't find them sweet enough for my tastes (as completely opposite the other reviewer's point of view). If you are like me and like a sweet pick-me-up in the morning, I'm tempted to say you could easily double the honey or maybe add some brown sugar. These may not make exciting muffins IMHO, but I am excited to try turning this into a bread by adding more flour and some yeast. I have a feeling this recipe is worthy of my bread machine. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, carrots, buttermilk, honey, butter or margarine, egg, vanilla, and orange zest.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- This is a thick batter.
- Fold walnuts (if using) into batter, gently.
- Spoon batter into 12-cup muffin pan (lightly greased or sprayed with nonstick spray).
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.