Recipe by Little Chef
I just found this recipe in my local newspaper. Listing it here for safe keeping.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄3 cups canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 9X5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper or grease; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat together butter, granulated and brown sugars until light.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, and vanilla. Batter may seem curdled, but don't worry.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda, salt and cloves. Stir into batter in three additions, alternating with pumpkin puree in two, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Spoon thick batter into prepared pan; smooth the top. Tap pan lightly on counter to eliminate air bubbles.
- Topping: Combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350°F oven until cake firm to touch and a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool in pan on a rack for 20 minutes; turn out to cool completely on a rack. Wrap and store for up to one day.