Recipe by senseicheryl
This recipe was featured in a Halloween email from the www.verybestbaking.com website. You have to check out the picture to understand about the garnish instructions. Looks and sounds incredible!
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package spice cake mix or 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package carrot cake mix
- 1 cup canned pumpkin, Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons margarine, softened or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR CAKE: PREHEAT oven to 350º F. Grease and flour two 8- or 9-inch-round cake pans.
- COMBINE cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, water, vegetable oil and pumpkin pie spice in large mixer bowl until moistened. Beat for 2 minutes or until thoroughly mixed. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: BEAT cream cheese, margarine and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar. Spread between layers and on top and side of cake.
- TO GARNISH: *Black string licorice, NESTLÉ RAISINETS Milk Chocolate-Covered Raisins and Halloween candy corn (optional) - FORM licorice strings into ghost shapes; press into side of frosted cake. Use Raisinets for eyes. Arrange candy corn between ghosts on side and around top edge of frosted cake.