Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This French toast is loaded with the classic flavors of spiced pumpkin pie, and the texture is light and custardy. Serve hot with butter and maple syrup for a hearty autumn breakfast that can be enjoyed any time of year. I've also enjoyed this served with a drizzle of maple syrup and homemade whipped cream with a pinch of nutmeg (recipe here: http://www.food.com/recipe/whipped-cream-topping-296140).
- 8 -10 slices white bread
- 4 eggs, large
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove, ground
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup (real, not imitation)
- 4 -5 tablespoons butter, salted (optional ( 1/2 tbs. butter per slice)
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Then whisk in milk and pumpkin puree. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla; whisk until fully incorporated.
- Bring a large skillet or griddle to medium heat and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Dredge each slice of bread in the custard mixture, being careful not to oversaturate the bread.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Serve hot with butter and real maple syrup.