Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Brown Butter Buttercream Recipe Courtesy: Bake You Happy, Cupcake Wars, 2010 Show: Cupcake Wars Episode: LA Auto Show Recipe Categories: Vegetables, Pumpkin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 4 large eggs
BROWN BUTTER BUTTERCREAM
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 4 cups powdered sugar (about 2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Line 2 regular size cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground cloves and salt. Set the bowl aside. In a large bowl using an electric mixer on low speed, combine the sugar, oil, applesauce, vanilla extract, and pumpkin. Add the eggs 1 at a time. Mix on low until combined. Gradually add the flour mixture until just combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full with batter and bake until the cupcakes spring back when touched with your finger, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pans for a few minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- BROWN BUTTER BUTTERCREAM:.
- In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup butter over medium-low heat until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Cool. In a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the remaining 1/2 cup butter for 30 seconds. Add the cool brown butter and beat until combined. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat in the buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until spreadable.
The best cupcakes I have ever made. I substituted some of the buttermilk with eggnog in the frosting and it added the perfect touch. I will definitely make these again.