Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This makes for a very good non-dairy dessert or snack.
- 118.29 ml margarine, softened
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 177.44 ml mashed, cooked pumpkin
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 7.39 ml pumpkin pie spice
- powdered sugar
- 78.07 ml light brown sugar
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 354.88 ml orange juice
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- Beat margarine at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Stir in pumpkin and vanilla.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to sugar mixture, beating at low speed until blended after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-inch round cakepan.
- Bake at 350F degrees 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.
- Place a paper doily over cake; sift powdered sugar through a wire-mesh strainer over doily.
- Remove doily, and serve with Orange Sauce.
- To make the Orange Sauce----------.
- Whisk together all ingredients in a heavy saucepan until blended.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly; boil, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
WOWEE! This was so soft and spicy and yummy! It also made the house smell great! In place of regular sugar, I used 1/2 cup Splenda Granular plus 2T Splenda brown sugar blend which keeps it from having an aftertaste. I used canned pumpkin and 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour plus 1/2 cup whole wheat flour. This still rose nicely and wasn't heavy at all. Instead of powdered sugar, I just spread the glaze over the top of the whole thing. I made the glaze with 1 1/2T Splenda brown sugar blend, 1/2T cornstarch, 1/2 cup fresh OJ and 1/2tsp fresh lemon juice. It had a very nice orange flavor. I also served this with a strawberry/peach fruit compote I made and Cool whip lite. It felt like the Holidays! Just WONDERFUL! Freddy Cat approves! Made for the Please Review game.