Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These cupcakes were amazing. Made for my sister's baby shower in the fall. Adapted from Sandra Lee's Semi Homemade magazine. Her recipe was for a 9 inch cake. I adapted it to make approx. 48 cupcakes and made the frosting from scratch.
Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 2 (1034.75 g) box vanilla cake mix
- 473.18 ml apple cider or 473.18 ml juice
- 177.44 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml water
- 59.14 ml honey
- 3 large eggs
- 9.85 ml pumpkin pie spice
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, softened
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 2.46 ml pumpkin pie spice
- 1419.54 ml powdered sugar
- 14.79 ml cream of tartar
- 29.58 ml honey
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Spray the bottoms and sides of the cupcake tins. You can also use paper cups.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mixes, cider, oil, water and honey. Beat at low speed with electric mixer until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add spice mix and beat until combined.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Pour batter into cupcake tins about 3/4 filled.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Wait until completely cooled before frosting.
- For the Frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter and honey with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar, spice and cream of tartar, beating well until you reach spreading consistency.