Recipe by Lucky Clover
A moist, delicious pumpkin cake made with yellow cake mix and topped with cream cheese frosting. This is my favorite cake, especially during the holidays.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
I can not believe I forgot to take a photo of this cake. Made it for our anniversary party, including the frosting and it turned out wonderful. Moist and such great flavors and went together easy and looked so pretty. The only thing I did differant was to use recipe#54269 to make sure it was a towering cake (I had a 9" round pan) and added a cream a filling. Used the optional pecans and it was perfect as the center piece to our table. Sure wish I had the photo to show as it was a show stopper. Thanks so much for posting.
As an update to this: I'd made it before but forgot to take a photo so had friends over for a bar b q and decided to make again. This time I also filled the center with recipe#243117 and added with recipe#54269 baking in 8" pans with high sides as I wanted a towering cake and it was sooooo awesome. I had so many compliments and very little left over.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake Directions:.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13" baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together cake mix, sugar, baking soda, cinammon and ginger.
- Make a well in the center add pumpkin, oil and eggs. Beat on low speed until blended.
- Scrape bowl and beat about 4 minutes on medium speed. Stir in chopped pecans if desired.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 40 minutes or until toothpick placed in center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely and top with cream cheese frosting.
- Frosting Directions:.
- Beat softened butter and cream cheese until well blended. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Spread on cake.
- If making a round, stacked cake, make 1-1/2 to 2x the frosting, depending on how thick you like it.