Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is one of those cakes that I usually make around Halloween/Thanksgiving, since pumpkins are plentiful. However, it is just as wonderful any other time of year (using canned puree).
- 768.91 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 12.32 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml ground nutmeg
- 1.23 ml salt
- 354.88 ml fresh pumpkin puree or 354.88 ml canned pumpkin puree
- 118.29 ml applesauce
- 354.88 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml margarine, softened
- 3 large egg whites
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- 44.37 ml dark brown sugar or 44.37 ml light brown sugar
- 14.79 ml dark rum
- 4.92 ml skim milk
- 44.37 ml powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 6 ingredients; set flour mixture aside.
- Combine pumpkin and applesauce; set aside.
- Beat granulated sugar and margarine in a large bowl at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes).
- Add egg whites and vanilla, beating well.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with pumpkin mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into a 12-cup Bundt pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- Combine brown sugar, rum, and milk in a small saucepan, and cook over low heat until brown sugar dissolves.
- Remove sugar mixture from heat, and add powdered sugar, stirring with a whisk.
- Spoon glaze over warm cake.
I'm always looking for new recipes for bundt cakes and this is a keeper! Makes a very dense and flavorful cake. The glaze is very tasty. I used canned pumpkin, butter and 2% milk.
This was tasty -- but has a very, very dense texture -- very heavy. I noticed the batter was very stiff when I put it in the pan. Plus the glaze wasn't enough for the cake -- so I'm going to make a second batch. For those who prefer a dense, heavy cake, this would be ideal. We tend to prefer something a bit lighter. Thank you, Dee for sharing your recipe.
GREAT taste and easy to put together. I would suggest at LEAST doubling the glaze - mine hardly even covered half the top of the cake and I followed the directions exactly. It has wonderful flavor so I'm going to make more to add to the cake we already cut into!