Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I am a fan of banana bread, but once I tasted this one, I will take it anytime over banana bread. I adapted this one from a recipe on bettycrocker.com, the smell of your house as it bakes is so amazing and inviting. This is a Quick Bread, the cycle of your machine should clearly say QUICK BREAD, if it says anything else such as express, then this recipe will not work as what happened to one of the reviewers, as it does not contain yeast.
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour or 1 1⁄2 cups bread machine flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- IMPORTANT: This is a Quick Bread, the cycle of your machine should clearly say QUICK BREAD. If the cycle says anything else, such as Express, then this recipe will not work since it does not contain yeast, and is designed for the QUICK BREAD cycle.
- Place all ingredients in your breadmaker pan following manufacturer's recommended order.
- Select Quick Bread cycle only. Wait like 5 minutes into cycle, open lid and scrape down sides and bottom of the pan, close lid and let the cycle finish.
- Wait for it to cool down before you slice it, of course, if you can wait :).
This was the best pumpkin bread we've had in a long time! My own tweeks were to use vanilla yogurt in place of the oil and I also added a tsp of vanilla extract. I also added just a pinch of alspice. Great post. Thanks!
Skip it...not so great
I wasn't overly impressed with this bread. It was pretty underwhelming, so I've tried playing with the spices, including adding pumpkin pie spice. The flavor improved, but the texture is still way too heavy. There is potential here, but it's not the quick-and-yummy recipe I'd hoped for.