Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From New Mexico Magazine.
Make and share this Pumpkin Soup With Red Chile (Sopa Calabaza Con Chile Rojo) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb uncooked pumpkin, peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 bay leaves, broken in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 square mexican chocolate
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
- Place the peeled pumpkin pieces and bay leaves in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven. Pour enough water to completely cover the pumpkin. Cover the pot, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 45 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft. Drain the pumpkin, remove the bay leaves. Let the pumpkin cool and reserve.
- Heat oil in a heavy soup pot, add the onion and cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes or until just soft, add the garlic and parsley and cook another 1-2 minutes. Place the pumpkin, in 2 or 3 batches in a blender or food processor. Add a little of the chicken broth each time and blend until smooth. Add the onion, garlic and chile flakes to the last batch.
- Pour the mixture back into the soup pot, add the rest of the chicken broth, salt, pepper, allspice and chocolate and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed through.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve.