Recipe by Miraklegirl
Stolen from Martha's bulletin board (I was slumming one day... ;). A delicious, warming soup.
Top Review by herbsnflowers
I doubled the recipe and used butternut squash instead of pumpkin,I also replaced the whipping cream with 1/2 & 1/2 cream as that is what I had on hand. The soup is delicious,quick & easy to make and freezes well.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 lbs pumpkin, peeled seeded,chopped (about 6 cups)
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock (or more)
- 5 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, celery and onion; sauté until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, 6 cups stock and cloves.
- Cover and simmer until pumpkin is very tender, about 25 minutes, then discard cloves.
- Purée soup in batches in blender.
- Return to Dutch oven.
- Stir in cream and honey and bring to simmer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Swirl a little cream decoratively into each bowl of soup for an elegant presentation.