Recipe by FrenchBunny
Another great recipe from Fresh Market. Was a delicious sampling. Putting here for safekeeping.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (14 ounce) cans pumpkin puree
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated if possible)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 lb gruyere cheese
- salt (to taste)
- white pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chives (chopped for garnish)
- toasted pumpkin seeds (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and saute until tender (about 6 minutes). Add chicken broth, bay leaf and pumpkin puree and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover and simmer about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use a immersion blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return mixture to pan over low heat and add cream, orange zest, orange juice, nutmeg and ginger and mix.
- Gradually add cheese and continue stirring constantly until the cheese has fully melted.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish each bowl with additional cheese, chives and toasted pumpkin seeds.
- NOTE: To toast pumpkin seeds. Spread pumpkin seeds out on a cookie sheet. Toast in 350 heated oven for about 10 minutes. Will be puffy and crisp.