Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
adapted from The Mediterranean Collection. posted for ZWT.
- 500 g pumpkin flesh, cubed
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄4 liters vegetable stock
- salt and pepper, as needed
- 25 g coriander leaves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon blanched almond, chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- Put pumpkin, thyme sprigs and garlic cloves in a roasting tin to fit in snugly in a single layer.
- Add half of the oil and toss gently to coat well. Season liberally with sat and pepper and roast in a preheated oven, 200C (400F), Gas Mark 6, for 30 minutes, until charred and softened.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a deep saucepan. Gently fry onion, celery and chili for 10 mins or until softened,.
- .Add the stock, bring to a boil and simmer, covered for 20 minutes Stir in the roasted pumpkin and all the pan scrapings, return to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Discard thyme sprigs, then transfer the soup to a food processor or blender and puree in batches, until smooth, Keep warm.
- Place all the ingredients for the coriander pistou in a spice grinder and grind to form a smooth paste, or use a mortar and pestle. Spoon the soup into warmed bowls and swirl a llittle pistou in each one.
I made this last night and it was beautiful. The pumpkin soup was silky and smooth and the pistou was just fantastic. I would say that the soup is a 4 star soup, the pumpkin flavour is not very strong but it's lovely with the chili added, it just has a nice little tingle to it. It's the pistou that makes this a 5 in my book - it just compliments the soup beautifully. I did add more almonds than the recipe called for and they stayed quite chunky, but that was lovely with the soup. It's also a very easy soup to make, hardly any chopping and peeling really and it comes together quite quickly. Thank you for posting Pneuma, made for Aussie/Kiwi Swap June 09