Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Bobby Flay's from Mesa Grill. Iron Chef - Chocolate he did a Chocolate Pumpkin Soup....I bet it is a variation of this.
- 3 -4 cups enriched chicken stock
- 3 cups pumpkin puree (not flavored pie filling)
- 2 teaspoons ground mexican cinnamon, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chile puree
- 1 cup crema (Creme Fraiche or Sour Cream can be substituted)
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- roasted pumpkin seeds
- Bring 3 cups of the stock to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Whisk in the pumpkin puree, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, the ginger, allspice, nutmeg, honey, maple syrup, and chipotle puree. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes. Add more stock if the soup is too thick.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in cup of the crema and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix together the remaining cup crema and 1 teaspoon cinnamon until combined. Ladle the soup into bowls. Drizzle with the cinnamon crema and sprinkle with the roasted pumpkin seeds and a little cinnamon.
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Makes 1 cup).
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- Kosher salt.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Toss the seeds with the oil and season with salt to taste. Spread the seeds evenly on a baking sheet and bake, tossing occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, until they are lightly golden brown and crisp. Let cool. These can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in an airtight container.
An amazing soup! I loved the spices, and the addition of the crema improved the flavour even more. I was not sure what exactly crema was supposed to mean, so I used very creamy Greek sheep yoghurt which is very mild and quite similar to crème fraîche. It was a perfect match!
Thanks for sharing this different way to make pumpkin soup!
Made for Let's P-A-R-T-Y 2011.