This New Zealand recipe came from my sister Tracey, it sounded at first like too much work with two pots but when I tried it out it was so yummy that it was well worth it and it's become a family favourite for whenever pumpkins are cheap enough to indulge in here in The Netherlands since pumpkin isn't really such a "regular" veggie here. If we travel and I find pumpkin, this is the recipe I indulge in !
- Cook pumpkin and onion in 60 grams (2oz) butter for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add water and cook gently until pumpkin is very tender.
- Push through a sieve or pureé in blender with a little of the milk.
- Melt remaining butter in clean pan and stir in flour, then pumpkin pureé and remaining milk stirring until well blended.
- Season with salt, pepper& nutmeg.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- If desired take out a little soup, blend with egg yolk and stir back into big soup mixture just before serving.
This was a really nice, easy and simple soup to make. What I liked was the fact that the ingredients were ones most people have in their cupboards or fridge :)... I added a few tsps of sugar and a little bit of cream just to make it a bit more sweeter and creamier!
Brilliant! So easy to make and it tastes Delicious :)
Easy to make and tasted fabulous