Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This creamy soup is a nice change to traditional fall soups, Apple juice adds a bit of sweetness while curry powder and cinnamon enhance the flavor of pumpkin. Serving soup in hollowed-out pumpkins makes it even more delicious and fun for your family!
- 8 tiny pumpkins, pulp and seeds removed (to use for bowls or 1 large pumpkin)
- 2 tablespoons crisco canola oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups Carnation Evaporated Milk (regular or 2%)
- sour cream
- finely chopped chives
- Heat oil in a 3-quart sacepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery, cooking and stirring until tender. Blend in flour, cooking 1 minute more. Stir in broth. Add apple juice, pumpkin, curry powder, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Purée in batches in food processor or blender. Return to saucepan. Stir in hot evaporated milk and heat through without boiling. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fill either the small pumpkins or the large pumpkin 3/4 full, Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chives. Cover with lids, if desired.
- TIPS: Cut off the tops of pumpkins, removing all seeds from bottom of "lid" and from the inside, taking care not to puncture the skin. Slice a very small amount off the bottom of each pumpkin to stabilize them,
- MAKE AHEAD: Soup can be puréed, covered and refrigerated overnight. To reheat, return to saucepan, heat and stir in hot evaporated milk.
I really liked the idea of putting the soup in the mini pumpkins; however, the soup itself needed more flavor. I ended up adding some nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice to give it more taste. Made for New Kids on the Block 2009.