Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love this recipe because it gives me a little piece of the holidays all year round! this is an old family recipe.
- 16 ounces canned pumpkin or 1 lb fresh pumpkin, cooked & pureed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (OR MORE TO TASTE)
- 2 tablespoons grits (or more if you want to thicken it)
- 7 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (fresh is the best)
- 2 -3 pinches salt and pepper (or to taste)
- Heat butter in large sauce pan over med. heat.
- Add onions and cook until the onions become soft (about 5min).
- Stir in pumpkin and chicken broth.
- Heated to a slight boil then stir in milk, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt & pepper, & grits, simmer for 5min.(Sprinkle seasonings in so they do not clump in the soup).
- Serve warm and garnish with fresh grated parmesan cheese (about 2 pinches of cheese is perfect).
This was absolutely wonderful! Just a touch of sweetness but full of flavor - my husband and I loved it and the picky children liked it.
I mostly followed the directions except I used coconut milk instead of cows milk (I was almost out of cows milk and the kids gotta have cereal in the A.M.). I love how well the coconut milk and pumpkin blend and complement so I may continue to use coconut milk.
We will definitely be making this again. Thanks!
Wow! Great soup!! I tried to make pumpkin soup before with a different recipe because I thought I'd like it and I didn't. I wasn't ever going to try again but I ended up with a bunch of pie pumpkins so I thought I'd give it one more try. I sure am glad I did, this recipe is awesome and I'll definitely be making it again! I didn't have any grits so I just thickened with a bit of cornstarch and milk. Yummy!
Just amazing! Loved this. Going to see if I can take it to thanksgiving. Only thing was I think I will use onion powder next time, didn't like the chunks of onion but like the flavor of them.
I changed a couple things due to what I had. I used a 1lb 13oz can of pumpkin and 4 cups bouillon. Also added ginger and cinnamon.