Recipe by nad smith
I love this recipe because it gives me a little piece of the holidays all year round! this is an old family recipe.
Top Review by Texas Ladybug
This was absolutely wonderful! Just a touch of sweetness but full of flavor - my husband and I loved it and the picky children liked it.
I mostly followed the directions except I used coconut milk instead of cows milk (I was almost out of cows milk and the kids gotta have cereal in the A.M.). I love how well the coconut milk and pumpkin blend and complement so I may continue to use coconut milk.
We will definitely be making this again. Thanks!
- 16 ounces canned pumpkin or 1 lb fresh pumpkin, cooked & pureed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (OR MORE TO TASTE)
- 2 tablespoons grits (or more if you want to thicken it)
- 7 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (fresh is the best)
- 2 -3 pinches salt and pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in large sauce pan over med. heat.
- Add onions and cook until the onions become soft (about 5min).
- Stir in pumpkin and chicken broth.
- Heated to a slight boil then stir in milk, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt & pepper, & grits, simmer for 5min.(Sprinkle seasonings in so they do not clump in the soup).
- Serve warm and garnish with fresh grated parmesan cheese (about 2 pinches of cheese is perfect).