Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 1 pumpkin, top removed and inside scooped out
- 1⁄2 lb sugar pumpkin, cubed
- 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup rice
- Coat the inside of the pumpkin with half the melted margarine, then sprinkle the inside with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan, saute mixed vegetables in remaining margarine for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Pour broth, vegetables and rice into the pumpkin.
- Return filled pumpkin to the oven with the lid on top and bake about 1 hour or until the pumpkin is tender, but not too soft.
- Place the whole pumpkin on the table and ladle soup into bowls.
- Tip: Spiced Pumpkin Seeds Toss dried pumpkin seeds melted butter, add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, add nuts, spread back on sheet and toast in 350 oven for 5-8 minutes, until toasted and fragrant.