Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make this recipe all the time. The only thing I leave out is the milk. I use the optional orange rind as it adds to the dish. I prefer bay leaves. I don’t use any of the garnishes, I just place shredded Parmesan cheese on the top. Middle of step 5 – I use a strainer and pour the excess liquid into a small pan then use my hand wand to puree the mixture but slowly add the excess liquid as my husband prefers a thicker soup then a runny soup. The recipe comes from a book called ‘Soups - Quick and Easy’ which is published by Parragon
- 1 kg pumpkin
- 40 g butter or 40 g margarine
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 828.06 ml vegetable stock
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 3-4 orange rind, thinly pared strips (optional)
- 1-2 bay leaves or 1-2 bouquet garni
- 295.73 ml milk
- salt and pepper
- 59.16-88.74 ml single cream or 59.16-88.74 ml double cream or 59.16-88.74 ml plain yogurt or 59.16-88.74 ml fromage frais
- chives, snipped
- Peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds and then cut the flesh into 2.5 cm/1 inch cubes.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion & garlic and fry over a low heat until soft but not coloured.
- Add the pumpkin and toss with the onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the ginger, lemon juice, strips or orange rind, if using, and bay leaves or bouquet garni. Cover and simmer over a low heat for about 20 minutes, until the pumpkin is tender.
- Discard the orange rind, if using, and the bay leaves or bouquet garni. Cool the soup slightly, then press through a strainer or process in a food processor until smooth. Pour into a clean saucepan.
- Add the milk and reheat gently. Adjust the seasoning. Garnish with a swirl of cream, natural yoghurt or fromage frais and snipped chives, and serve.
Delicious! So enjoyable! I added a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. I think the onions are very important to this recipe. This fall weather makes having pumpkin soup so special. We will definitely have it again. Thanks for sharing, Chef Flower. Prepared as a participant in the Edition #9 Make My Recipe Event.
We thoroughly enjoyed this so easy to make soup as our first course tonight with some buttered wholegran bread rolls. I put a swirl of sour cream on top and we enjoyed. I changed it to 3 serves but still had a serve left over. In step 5 after removing orange rind and bay leaves I used a stick blender (in pot) to blend and let cool and then added milk and reheated. Thank you Chef floWer. Made for WHO AM I?
Chef floWer, what a great soup. I did cheat just a little, I had made extra of Spicy Roast Pumpkin and so I used it in this soup but everything else was as per the recipe. I love the flavour with the lemon and orange. I tiopped with sour cream and it was fantastic! I will be making this again especially with winter coming on. Great recipe Chef floWer, Thank you this soup is going to make winter a little easier to handle!!