1/4 Photos of Pumpkin Soup
Chef floWer's Note:
I make this recipe all the time. The only thing I leave out is the milk. I use the optional orange rind as it adds to the dish. I prefer bay leaves. I don’t use any of the garnishes, I just place shredded Parmesan cheese on the top. Middle of step 5 – I use a strainer and pour the excess liquid into a small pan then use my hand wand to puree the mixture but slowly add the excess liquid as my husband prefers a thicker soup then a runny soup. The recipe comes from a book called ‘Soups - Quick and Easy’ which is published by Parragon
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg pumpkin
- 40 g butter or 40 g margarine
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 -4 orange rind, thinly pared strips (optional)
- 1 -2 bay leaves or 1 -2 bouquet garni
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 1Peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds and then cut the flesh into 2.5 cm/1 inch cubes.
- 2Melt the butter or margarine in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion & garlic and fry over a low heat until soft but not coloured.
- 3Add the pumpkin and toss with the onion for 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add the stock and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the ginger, lemon juice, strips or orange rind, if using, and bay leaves or bouquet garni. Cover and simmer over a low heat for about 20 minutes, until the pumpkin is tender.
- 5Discard the orange rind, if using, and the bay leaves or bouquet garni. Cool the soup slightly, then press through a strainer or process in a food processor until smooth. Pour into a clean saucepan.
- 6Add the milk and reheat gently. Adjust the seasoning. Garnish with a swirl of cream, natural yoghurt or fromage frais and snipped chives, and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.5
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 27.9 mg
- Sodium 69.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: