Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 mins
Cook 30 mins
What a great fall harvest meal! Recipe from Taste of Home, so you know its good. States that this is a low fat meal for two and they recommend topping them off with pickles and eating with a side of carrot sticks and celery sticks to stay with the low fat theme. At our house, we usually serve sloppy joes open faced on just one piece of bread to decrease the carb content. . .just an idea :)
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef or 1⁄2 lb ground turkey, may be substituted
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 dash ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 dash pepper
- 2⁄3 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the ketchup, tomato juice, chili powder, cloves, nutmeg, (cinnamon if you are using it) and pepper; mix well. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in pumpkin. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve on buns.