Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from http://www.adventuresinshaw.com/2009/10/pumpkin-shortbread-cookies/ . This can be rolled into a log and partially frozen for slice-n-bake cookies (don’t do this if adding chocolate chips or dried fruit like I did though) or made into 1 ½ tbsp sized balls, flattened slightly and baked that way.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup vegan margarine (I used Becel)
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (optional, I used Craisins) or 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional, I used Craisins) or 1⁄2 cup diced dates (optional, I used Craisins) or 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip (optional, I used Craisins)
- Beat the shortening and margarine until creamy.
- Sift in the icing sugar, and add vanilla and maple syrup. Beat until fluffy.
- Add the flour, spice and salt and beat inches.
- Beat in pumpkin until a very sticky dough is formed.
- Fold in the cranberries.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line sheets with parchment or silicone.
- For slice-n-bakes: with lightly floured hands and counter, roll the chilled dough into a thick log. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze 2 hours. Using a sharp serrated knife, slice into ¼”- thick discs.
- For hand-formed (recommended for cookies with additions): scoop 1 ½-tbsp sized balls of dough and flatten between your palms to ¼” thick.
- For both: bake 18-20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on the sheets before carefully removing to a wire rack to cool completely.