Cook1 hr 10 mins
Took this off another recipe site about 2 years ago when I was searching for something a little different from the traditional pumpkin pie. Makes a lovely dessert and lots of it, to feed a family gathering. If you like shortbread and pumpkin, you'll enjoy this combination.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (29 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- whipped cream (optional)
- additional ground cinnamon (optional)
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and flour.
- Cut in butter until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Press into an ungreased 13' x 9" x 2" baking pan.
- In a bowl combine, the eggs, pumpkin, salt, spices and remaining sugar.
- Stir in milk.
- Pour over crust.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Bake 50-55 minutes longer or until filling is set.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut into squares.
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.