Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A tasty pumpkin cheese ball that looks great as centerpiece for Thanksgiving on your appetizer table.
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup solid-pack pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple preserves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, fresh works best
- 1 pretzel stick, broken in half
- assorted cracker
- Beat cheeses, pumpkin, preserves and spices in medium bowl until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate 2- 3 hours or until cheese if firm.
- Shape mixture into round pumpkin, place on serving plate.
- Using knife score vertical lines down pumpkin.
- Place pretzel rod in top for stem.
- Cover loosely and refrigerate until serving.
- Serve with crackers placed around pumpkin.
This looks great as a centerpiece on our table. However, for some reason, I found it almost impossible to shape the cheese mixture even after leaving it in the freezer for several hours. I followed the recipe exactly though. To save this dish, I had to add a whole bag of pumpkin cake mix and freeze it again. At this point, the cheese ball finally firmed up and it was shapable. I didn't use a knife to draw vertical lines on the cheese ball. Instead, I used a pretzel stick to finish the lines and then put it in the middle as the pumpkin stem. The cheese ball was on the sweet side because of the cake mix, but it still tasted pretty good.
This cheese ball has a really nice flavor and looked really cute shaped like a pumpkin. Thanks for sharing!
This is really easy, and has a unique savory flavor! Good stuff!